SIX THINGS I LEARNED FROM RUNNING A MARATHON

Two years ago I decided I wanted to run a marathon. I had kind of lost my motivation to train and make healthy choices. And I felt that setting myself this huge goal would help me get out and get fit.

It took me a bit longer than expected, when having a little bump in the running road when I dislocated my kneecap bouldering two months before the Amsterdam marathon of 2016. As a result, I first had to spend months rehabilitating; learning how to walk after wearing a brace for six weeks, let a lone run. But, in January I restarted my training and last month I ran a marathon. And the whole process of getting ready to appear at the start and then actually running it, and making it across the finish line, have taught me a lot. About running, but also about life. And that is what I want to share with you today.


1. When at first you don't succeed, dust yourself off and try again.


The Aaliyah song sprang into my spotify playlist unexpectedly at the 32km mark. And it was a boost I needed. I realised how I had fought to be there, right there, in that moment in time. How hard I had tried to get ready to be able to do this. 
When I hurt my knee, I had increased my long distance to 25km. I really was almost there. And as soon as I felt the cap dislocate, not only did I crash to the ground -falling from the wall in the bouldering hall- but my marathon goal crashed with me. And I new it that milli-second.

What I did not expect is that it would take me out of the running for that long (pun intended). Having to wear an immobile brace for six weeks, and then one in which I could bend my knee for an other four weeks, was detrimental for my fitness level. My body had forgotten how to use my leg. I could not walk stairs, bike, or really just walk in general. But, I dusted myself off. I did my physical therapy every day, I got up, and in January, five months after my accident, I carefully started my marathon training back up, from zero. And ten months later, I ran a marathon.

2. Chafing; it happens. Shit happens. Deal with it and run through it.


Chafing. It happens. In the weirdest places. Sometimes you don't realise you have chafed, until you step in a hot shower after a long run and feel the burn. 
And sometimes you feel it happening when running, which is extremely annoying as you don't want to make it worse, but you still have to run for 45 minutes, or even longer. And when you think that you know all the places and you have taken all precautions, you find out that when you run a few kilometres further, there are all these new places that chafe. 

But you know what? If you just keep running, the pain usually just disappears. And, once you've learnt about the problem area, you can prepare in advance and circumvent the issue the next time. So, there is only one thing you can do. Put some Vaseline on it and run on. Sometimes things happen that are annoying, but you just have to keep on going and eventually the pain goes away -at least until you take a shower- and with a little preparation you avoid it all together next time.

3. You will always get tired, take a rest.


When training, and perhaps even during the marathon, you might get tired. Your muscles can ache beyond what is bearable. You might have difficulty catching your breath. It's okay to take a break or slow down if you have to. It does not mean you are failing.
Just take a break. Stop running, enjoy that you are still outside. Take in your surroundings. Stretch your body. And before you know you'll have the energy to run a little bit further.

You might have an off day. Accept it. Move on. It does not have to mean anything more than that. Enjoy that which you can do, and appreciate that that too will help you further achieve your goals. 


4. Discipline is everything.

That said. Discipline is everything. After a long day, and all you want to do is hang on your sofa, you still have to get out to go running. Or, during the weekend when all you want to do is hang out with your loved ones, you still have to get up and put those running shoes on.

Just like when you are learning something new. When you want to create a new good habit. When you want to loose a bad habit. You need discipline. 

So take some time to find out how you can make it easier for yourself. Because discipline is a limited resource, you only have so much of it during one day. What can you do to make training when you should as easy as possible, as to not deplete your discipline muscle? 

5. It's a mental thing. You are capable of more than you think.


After running 35K I was exhausted. I was done. I was tired. I knew I could make it, but I had to slow down. I had to. I absolutely had to. And then, the last 700 meters? I picked up the pace. I sprinted. I flew over the finish. 

How is that possible, that there was still so much energy in my body, that my mind was unaware of?

Sometimes your mind plays tricks on you. The little voice in your head will try to stop you. Will give you self doubt. It's pertinent that you don't listen to that voice. Listen to your body. How does it feel? What can it do? You are capable of more, so much more than that little voice in your head tells you you are.

6. Don't forget others.

Training for a marathon takes a lot of your time. Don't forget others. Be grateful for the people around you, supporting you. Don't forget to ask them about their things, their passions. You are not the only one who is trying to achieve something. They need your support just as much as you need theirs. They might even need it more than you.

Because when it's all done and dusted, and you crossed the finish line, you want people to celebrate with you. They will only do that if you celebrate with them too. 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...