RECIPE || HOME MADE WHOLE WHEAT TORTILLAS BLACK BEANS

40 minutes


Who does not love tortillas? They're flavoursome, healthy, juicy and filled with fresh vegetables. But when you check out ready made tortillas in the supermarket, there is so much stuff in there. And they are often not whole wheat. So from now on, I make my tortillas from scratch. And it's super easy.

Tortillas are very easy to make. All you need is some flour - which ever one you prefer -, water, oil, salt and baking soda.

For 6 tortillas you need:
280 grams of flour -I use whole grain-
150 grams of water
1 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
2 tablespoons of oil

Mix all these ingredients together, until it forms a soft dough. Divide it into 6 small balls and let that rest for 30 minutes. 

In those 30 minutes I usually get all the fillings ready. As I'm eating less meat, I opted for a vegetarian option, lovely black beans.
I bake some spices in a dry pan, namely coriander seeds and some cumin. Then I add some oil and bake of some onion, garlic and fresh chili pepper. Once that is glassy, I add the beans, some corn and add salt, pepper, paprika powder, chili powder and a splash of water. I then let that sit there and slowly simmer.

I cut up some vegetables for toppings. For me these are usually tomatoes, red bell peppers or paprikas and some salad. I don't like guacamole in my tortillas. I prefer some fresh avocado blocks drizzled in lemon. Then I also always have some fresh coriander or cilantro and some salsa. I find that cream is too heavy and dominates the other more delicate vegetable flavours, so in stead I always eat my tortillas with some Greek yogurt. For a vegan option you could either leave this off, or find a vegan alternative yogurt of your liking.

After 30 minutes you can roll out your tortillas and give them about 30 seconds on each side in a warm pan. But keep your eye on it, leave it too long and the tortilla will become to stiff to roll up.

And that's all you need for a healthy, whole wheat meal filled with fresh, raw vegetables and some black beans. The best thing of it all, if you ask me, are the crooked imperfect tortilla wraps, that proof to be easier to pack into a roll than the perfectly round supermarket ones. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...